[yocto] FW: strange explanation of how to add a package to an existing recipe

Nicolas Dechesne nicolas.dechesne at linaro.org
Thu Nov 21 14:26:13 PST 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM, Rifenbark, Scott M <
scott.m.rifenbark at intel.com> wrote:

> >suggests that, to customize an image, you should copy the existing .bb
> file for
> >that image to another name and add a line like:
> >
> >  IMAGE_INSTALL += "strace"
> >
> >but rather than *copy* the entire image file, isn't it easier to use
> what's
> >already being used; that is, just "include" or "require" the existing .bb
> file.
> >example: core-image-minimal-mtdutils.bb contains:

i would agree with the doc. while it is tempting to include/require a
'minimal' image, and it is simpler at first sight, eventually you will need
to have full control of all your image. especially when your 'image' is
your 'product' that gets deployed. In such circumstances I believe it is
more appropriate to not rely on an external recipe. e.g. if the minimal
image you include change, all your derived images change too...

it's kind of a 'taste' choice, and you might want to choose to do
differently, but still the best recommendation to me is to own your image
recipes completely...

alternatively, there can be some corner case when you include/require as
the parsing of the recipe is done 'serially'. so the place where you
include/require in your .bb file might matter, if you play around with some
CORE IMAGE variable... and that's kind of tough things to debug.