[yocto] init-ifupdown: is this missing a RDEPEND to procps?

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Thu Nov 21 08:09:25 PST 2013

On 2013-11-21 08:59, Hans Beckerus wrote:
> On 2013-11-20 4:15, Hans Beckérus wrote:
>> The /etc/init.d/networking script is using sysctl to grab some
>> parameters from /etc/sysctl.conf. This file does not exists unless
>> procps is also installed.
>> I can not see that init-ifupdown RDEPENDS procps. Should it not? Or is
>> there a reason for not having it like that?
> No one? Should I route this question to OE-core instead?

Probably since this recipe is in OE-core.

IMO, there should not be a dependency on procps since that's pretty
heavy and not really needed for smaller systems.  The single use
of /etc/sysctl.conf in the ifupdown script seems to be trying to make
sure local settings are applied before bringing up the network devices.
The script simply ignores the failure if the file is missing which is
OK, plus it does allow for local customization providing /etc/sysctl.conf
without the overhead of procps.