[yocto] MULTILIB builds with Yocto: Status?

Nick D'Ademo nickdademo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 06:17:55 PST 2013

>From what I've read so far, by adding the following to the local.conf file
(e.g. for a x86_64 build; in my case for the Intel NUC machine), Yocto will
build an image which also contains 32-bit compiled system libraries (+ any
32-bit packages/recipes you have specified):

require conf/multilib.conf
MULTILIBS = "multilib:lib32"
DEFAULTTUNE_virtclass-multilib-lib32 = "x86"

However, running BitBake with the above added to local.conf results in a
large number of build errors. To name a few:

grub_2.0.0.bb:
| checking whether the C compiler works... no
| configure: error: in
`/home/nick/poky/build/tmp/work/x86_64-poky-linux/grub/2.00-r1/build':
| configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

ntp_4.2.6p5.bb:
| configure: exit 77
| ERROR: oe_runconf failed

Is there something I'm missing here? What is the status of MULTILIB support
with Yocto? Has anyone attempted it lately?

[The following guide seems a little outdated:
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Multilib]

Thanks,
Nick