[yocto] why is "package-management" defined as a PACKAGE_GROUP?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Nov 18 03:23:43 PST 2013

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013, Paul Eggleton wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> On Sunday 17 November 2013 11:17:13 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 Nov 2013, Chris Larson wrote:
> >
> > ... huge snip that i hope won't be necessary ...
> >
> > > This test you did makes no sense. Of course it’s in IMAGE_FEATURES,
> > > you put it there. What you didn’t check is whether
> > > ${ROOTFS_PKGMANAGE} ended up being installed in the image, which it
> > > won’t be.
> >
> >   i think i see my basic and fatal misunderstanding, and if you can
> > tolerate one more post, i want to make sure i know what i did wrong as
> > i want to write this up and i want to be accurate.
> >
> >   as i understood it (apparently incorrectly), IMAGE_FEATURES fell
> > into two categories:
> >
> >   1) actual package groups, as defined in core-image.bbclass, as in:
> >
> > PACKAGE_GROUP_x11 = "packagegroup-core-x11"
> > PACKAGE_GROUP_x11-base = "packagegroup-core-x11-base"
> > PACKAGE_GROUP_x11-sato = "packagegroup-core-x11-sato"
>
> As I keep saying, these aren't package groups despite the name of
> the variable. Please stop calling them that. All they say is that if
> "x11" is present in IMAGE_FEATURES, bring in packagegroup-core-x11.
> The fact that these *do* point to actual package groups as packages
> is pretty much incidental.

  yes, i think i finally figured it out, and it was that variable name
prefix "PACKAGE_GROUP" that kept throwing me. in fact, it might have
been clearer if the terminology used had been:

IMAGE_FEATURE_x11 = "... package list for feature x11 ..."
IMAGE_FEATURE_x11-base = "... package list for feature x11-base ..."

etc, etc. so it's finally sunk in that, no, there's nothing magic
about a "packagegroup", it's just a way of abbreviating a package list
corresponding to a value in IMAGE_FEATURES.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca