[yocto] why is "package-management" defined as a PACKAGE_GROUP?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Nov 17 08:17:13 PST 2013

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013, Chris Larson wrote:

... huge snip that i hope won't be necessary ...

> This test you did makes no sense. Of course it’s in IMAGE_FEATURES,
> you put it there. What you didn’t check is whether
> ${ROOTFS_PKGMANAGE} ended up being installed in the image, which it
> won’t be.

  i think i see my basic and fatal misunderstanding, and if you can
tolerate one more post, i want to make sure i know what i did wrong as
i want to write this up and i want to be accurate.

  as i understood it (apparently incorrectly), IMAGE_FEATURES fell
into two categories:

  1) actual package groups, as defined in core-image.bbclass, as in:

PACKAGE_GROUP_x11 = "packagegroup-core-x11"
PACKAGE_GROUP_x11-base = "packagegroup-core-x11-base"
PACKAGE_GROUP_x11-sato = "packagegroup-core-x11-sato"

  2) non-package group values that were processed independently by
code in image.bbclass, such as "read-only-rootfs" or "debug-tweaks"

  what i *thought* was that each setting had to be one *or* the other,
but not both. so when i saw code in image.bbclass that was handling
the "package-management" IMAGE_FEATURE, i immediately assumed that
meant it couldn't *also* represent an actual package group. is that
where i went wrong?

  so, in this one case for the IMAGE FEATURE "package-management",
there is an actual package group defined as:

PACKAGE_GROUP_package-management = "${ROOTFS_PKGMANAGE}"

which represents the packages:

$ bb show -r core-image-base ROOTFS_PKGMANAGE
Parsing recipes..done.
# ROOTFS_PKGMANAGE=opkg opkg-collateral ${EXTRAOPKGCONFIG}
ROOTFS_PKGMANAGE="opkg opkg-collateral poky-feed-config-opkg"
$

but that feature *also* pulls in additional processing as it's defined
in image.bbclass.

  have i finally got it right?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca