[yocto] do any yocto docs clearly distinguish between "+=" and "_append"?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Nov 11 03:30:46 PST 2013

  still slogging my way through the dev manual, and here:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#usingpoky-extend-customimage

section 5.2.1 recommends that recipe files use:

IMAGE_INSTALL += "strace"

while, further down in section 5.2.4, developers are encouraged to add
to their personal local.conf:

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " strace"

  is there somewhere in a yocto doc a clear explanation of the proper
usage of "+=" versus "_append"? because, in my experience, that's a
point of serious confusion for new users.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca