[yocto] FOSDEM 2014 Embedded dev room CFP

Alex J Lennon ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
Fri Nov 8 09:27:12 PST 2013

On 07/11/2013 10:11, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I didn't notice if it was already announced here, but the CFP for the FOSDEM
> Embedded dev room in 2014 is open:
>
> https://lists.fosdem.org/pipermail/fosdem/2013-October/001870.html
>
> It would be great to have some folks give OpenEmbedded/Yocto Project-related
> presentation(s) this year - we usually manage at least one for FOSDEM. It
> could be about a new feature you've worked on, a success story, a proposal for
> a new direction, a related project etc.

Hi Paul,

I'll be attending FOSDEM this year and could bring some kit along for a
demo if there's interest,
and table space available.

I doubt I'll have time to prepare a presentation but would be happy to
make some time for a
discussion if anybody has questions on the development process we went
through at DD.

The project I think would be most relevant here is a wireless sensor
mesh network that
we've been working on for some time.

This comprises a number of low cost sensor 802.15.4 radio nodes running
a proprietary mesh
stack. These are then deployed around a building, forming their own mesh
for comms, and providing
sensor information back into the enterprise.

We are planning to use Yocto on an OEM i.MX6-based headless gateway we
have under development
to provide the interface between the mesh and the Internet for sense
data, and also for installation /
network monitoring purposes.

As Yocto is so flexible in terms of platform targetting, whilst our
i.MX6 hardware is in development
I have been building for both both Freescale's i.MX6 EVK and also the
Raspberry Pi for test engineers
to do initial evaluation.

So there's an Internet of Things aspect, 802.15.4 mesh networking, a
couple of different hardware
platforms running essentially the same code-base to accelerate
development, and as the gateway
application is .NET based running on Linux/Mono, it shows that companies
with existing .NET
code-bases and Windows development teams can leverage Yocto+Mono to
target their embedded
apps. at Linux platforms.

Is that something that would be of interest?

Regards, Alex

Cheers, Paul

--

Dynamic Devices Ltd <http://www.dynamicdevices.co.uk/>

Alex J Lennon / Director
1 Queensway, Liverpool L22 4RA

mobile: +44 (0)7956 668178

Linkedin <http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexjlennon> Skype
<skype:alexjlennon?add>

This e-mail message may contain confidential or legally privileged
information and is intended only for the use of the intended
recipient(s). Any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is prohibited. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, or contain viruses.
Anyone who communicates with us by e-mail is deemed to have accepted
these risks. Company Name is not responsible for errors or omissions in
this message and denies any responsibility for any damage arising from
the use of e-mail. Any opinion and other statement contained in this
message and any attachment are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of the company.