[yocto] Deploying Yocto built images on x86

Markus Svilans msvilans at aeonyx.ca
Thu Nov 7 11:00:05 PST 2013

Hi Darren,

Thanks for this, it is very informative and useful.
You've been me a good number of solid leads to follow.

> Where are you storing the image? SPI, SD, USB, SATA? Assuming SATA as
> you are speaking in highly general x86 terms, which typically means "PC"
> rather than deeply embedded.

You are right, in my case, the system will be based around an Intel Atom
processor on a PC/104 motherboard, with an mSATA solid state drive. It
will be more of a PC type box than a deeply embedded unit. The "one
switch, one light" appliance-like behaviour is to simply usage in the field.

> OK, so the tool you are looking for is wic. Search the mailing list for
> specifics on the tool, and Cc Tom Zanussi (Cc'd) on questions about wic
> to the list (oe-core is probably the best list since the tool has been
> integrated there).

Thanks for the lead.
I'll have a look at WIC and go from there.

Thanks again & best wishes
Markus