[yocto] architecture mismatch during kernel build (40 to 3)

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Mon Nov 4 20:28:23 PST 2013

On 13-11-04 8:41 PM, Maxwell Bottiger wrote:
> I'm building a custom kernel, and I think I'm nearly there.  I'm seeing
> an error when running mkimage.  bitbake is complaining about an
> architecure mismatch, but I don't know which files it is comparing, or
> if the mismatch really matters (32bit x86 vs 64bit x86 or whatever)
>
> Here's the error string:
>
> WARNING: File '/usr/src/kernel/mkimage' from linux-yocto-custom was
> already stripped, this will prevent future debugging!
>
> ERROR: QA Issue: Architecture did not match (40 to 3) on
> /work/at91sam9x5ek-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-yocto-custom/2.6.39-r1/packages-split/kernel-dev/usr/src/kernel/mkimage

The obvious answer is .. it is mkimage that it is complaining about. You
are packaging mkimage (which is likely an x86 elf file) into your
kernel-dev package (which is your target arch, likely powerpc or ARM).
Hence the QA error.

In your kernel recipe, you can remove the file before packaging
(i.e. in the do_install_append) or inhibit the QA check for your recipe.

What exactly does your kernel recipe look like ? What is building mkimage
and then getting it installed into /usr/src/kernel ?

My suggestion is to track that down, versus inhibiting the QA check.

Bruce