[yocto] How to Set up Perf tool

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Fri Nov 1 11:52:33 PDT 2013

On 13-11-01 12:40 PM, Amit Tomer wrote:
> We have a requirement here to set up the perf tool through our Yocto
> frame work.
>
> As Perf source comes with linux kernel under tools/perf ,so it should be
> compiled with kernel recipe itself.
>
> But after bitbake of our kernel recipe,we couldn't find any binary
> related to perf.
> we made sure that below variable should be set in kernel config file
>
> CONFIG_HAVE_PERF_EVENTS=y
> CONFIG_PERF_EVENTS=y
>
> Do we need to make any change to our kernel recipe file as well??
>
> Can anyone let us know how we should set Perf tool.

It depends on the version of the the project and the kernel you are
using, but there's a separate perf recipe, and has been for quite a
while.

That perf builds out of the staged kernel source, which is put
in place as part of the kernel build.

Try an old fashioned: bitbake perf

And see what you get. If you want it to be built and installed into
your rootfs, you'll need to arrange to get it into your image's
installed package list.

Bruce