[yocto] udev not starting on first boot

Marc Ferland ferlandm at sonatest.com
Wed May 29 14:42:08 PDT 2013

Hi,

I'm currently upgrading from 1.3 to 1.4 and I'm having some issues on
the first boot because it seems udev won't start.

I'm using udev 182 from meta/recipes-core/udev. The system uses a
read-only root filesystem (squashfs) paired with a RW partition joined
together with AUFS to give the illusion of a RW filesystem.

The system is not configured with 'read-only-rootfs'.

On the first boot no /var/run/udev is created clearly showing that udevd
wasn't started.

At first sight it seems to be caused by the fact that populate-volatile
is called after udev, so some symlinks could be missing... that or some
weird race issue.

Any ideas?

Marc