[yocto] How do I get the kernel modules into rootfs?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue May 28 07:10:48 PDT 2013

On Tuesday 28 May 2013 15:57:50 Sebastian Süsens wrote:
> On 05/28/2013 03:03 PM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> > On Tuesday 28 May 2013 14:18:53 Sebastian Süsens wrote:
> >> I have build the system with MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS += "
> >> kernel-modules" at the machine configuration.
> >> When I look into the rootfs.tar archive I see no modules installed in
> >> /lib/modules. I get only a modules.tar archive at the deploy folder.
> >>
> >> How do I get the modules into the rootfs?
> >
> > This will only work if your image includes packagegroup-base, as noted
> > in the glossary entry for this variable:
> >
> > http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#var-MA
> > CHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS
> >
> > Presumably the image you are building does not include packagegroup-base
> > (or more specifically, packagegroup-machine-base)?
>
> now I build the system with packagegroup-base and it works.
> Can I build the rootfs which include modules without the packagegroup-base?

kernel-modules is just a package, so you can include it in IMAGE_INSTALL just
like any other package name (although this may not be the most appropriate
solution).

Alternatively, if you have a list of kernel modules that are required for
booting you can have them installed in any image that uses packagegroup-core-
boot by adding them to MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS.

Cheers,
Paul

PS please keep replies CC'd to the mailing list, thanks.

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre