[yocto] Problem with Python in pre-built SDK

Daniel Lazzari dlazzari at leapfrog.com
Thu May 23 14:45:48 PDT 2013

> Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 11:37:49 +0100
> From: "Burton, Ross" <ross.burton at intel.com>
> To: Ben Warren <Ben.Warren at spidercloud.com>
> Cc: "yocto at yoctoproject.org" <yocto at yoctoproject.org>
> Subject: Re: [yocto] Problem with Python in pre-built SDK
>
> On 16 May 2013 22:53, Ben Warren <Ben.Warren at spidercloud.com> wrote:
> > I'm having other Yocto problems using the stock Ubuntu x86_64 toolchain,
> so decided to install
> > one using the instructions in section 2.1.2 (Using a Cross-Toolchain Tarball)
> of the "Yocto
> > Project Application Developer's Guide".
>
> What are these other problems?  Ubuntu should work fine as a host.
>

> > ImportError: No module named fcntl
> > ========
> >
> > So it looks like the Python included with the SDK is crippled or mis-
> configured:
>
> Yeah, the Python we build is split up massively, so clearly the SDK is
> missing the packages that are needed to run bitbake.  But as I said,
> using our SDK to build is over-complicating things as Ubuntu should
> work fine.  What problems were you seeing?
>
> Ross

Just in case it matters, this actually bit us pretty badly at one point. We use scons heavily and our typical workflow is to source the toolchain environment script then run scons. Unfortunately, because the environment file adds the toolchain's native usr/bin to the path, scons tries to run with the broken python and you get the above ImportError. We fixed it by just deleting the python binary from the resulting toolchain so that python from the host system is used instead.

Not a serious issue, but pretty annoying.

Daniel Lazzari Jr.