[yocto] .rpm packaging weirdness of dynamic libraries

Hans Beckérus hans.beckerus at gmail.com
Thu May 23 08:25:34 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton at intel.com> wrote:
> On 23 May 2013 15:50, Hans Beckérus <hans.beckerus at gmail.com> wrote:
>> But in the rpm, the libs are packaged incorrectly (or at least not as expected)
>
> There (should) also be a linx-dev package, that contains the .so
> symlinks.  .so symlink files are only needed at compilation time for
> properly versioned libraries.
>
> Ross
Well, yes and no ;) If I look in /lib there are plenty of libraries
that comes with .so files so it seems they are needed in some cases,
right? Also, since part of our system software is doing loading of
dynamic libraries themselves using dlopen() it is *very* hard to
enforce removal of .so files since that piece of software does not
know what particular version of the library it should use. It should
load whatever .so points to, most commonly the latest version. So, is
there some way for us to make sure .so files are also part of the
.rpm? we do not wish to install the -dev variant since it also
pollutes the system with a lot of other not needed stuff. Since /lib
is having a lot of of .so files it must be possible, or?
Actually, I have never seen a system that does not include also the
.so files? Not even embedded ones. They are only soft links so
flash/ram/disk space is not really an issue here.

Hans