[yocto] eo_filter_out not working

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu May 23 04:04:58 PDT 2013

Hi Johan,

On Thursday 23 May 2013 08:59:03 Johan Thelin wrote:
> I'm trying to build the packagegroup-core-p1 from the meta-ivi layer,
> but I would like to remove the RRECOMMENDS as I don't want X11. To do
> this, I've added a packagegroup-core-p1.bbappend to my own layer. In
> this file I've tried the following options:
>
> Attempt #1
>
> RRECOMMENDS_packagegroup-core-p1 :=
> "${@oe_filter_out('packagegroup-xserver-ivi',
> '${RRECOMMENDS_packagegroup-core-p1}', d)}"
>
> ERROR: ExpansionError during parsing
> /home/e8johan/work/yocto/pelagicore-bsp/sources/meta-ivi/recipes-yocto-ivi/p
> ackagegroups/packagegroup-core-p1.bb: Failure expanding variable
> RRECOMMENDS_packagegroup-core-p1[:=],
> expression was ${@oe_filter_out('packagegroup-xserver-ivi',
> '${RRECOMMENDS_packagegroup-core-p1}', d)} which triggered exception
> SyntaxError: EOL while scanning string literal
> (RRECOMMENDS_packagegroup-core-p1[:=], line 1)
>

> I read this as RECOMMENDS_packagegroup-core-p1 is not yet set, so the
> oe_filter_out part fails.
>

> Attempt #2
>
> RRECOMMENDS_packagegroup-core-p1 := "foo"
>
> WARNING: Variable key RRECOMMENDS_${PN} (    packagegroup-xserver-ivi
>    ) replaces original key RRECOMMENDS_packagegroup-core-p1 (foo).
>

> This sort of explains why attempt #1 fails, as it seems that the bb is
> evaluated after the bbappend.

It's not specifically about the order of evaluation between the bb and the
bbappend, what this is saying is assignment statements where the variable name
on the LHS contains references to other variables will be evaluated after
assignment statements that don't.

Unfortunately I think this means this kind of expression can't work, because
at the time of the immediate evaluation, RDEPENDS_packagegroup-core-p1 (which
is what RDEPENDS_${PN} is later expanded to) isn't available. I tried to get
the value specifically of RDEPENDS_${PN} in an anonymous python function but
that doesn't seem to work either.

I think for this case you're probably better off just setting the value as
desired rather than trying to mangle the original value. When this kind of
situation arises it usually indicates the recipe being appended needs to be
changed to be more flexible instead of trying to work around its inflexibility
in the bbappend.

Cheers,
Paul

--