[yocto] bash specific syntax in bbclass files

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Fri May 3 04:40:24 PDT 2013

If every other distribution, over the next year, switched to python-3
as their default, but (instead of updating) future versions of Ubuntu
installed a symlink called python-3 pointing back to python-2, would
that hold back Yocto from adopting python-3-isms too?

It's sad how Ubuntu has so effectively killed the adoption of all
features of bash (the default shell on many Linux distributions)
introduced in the last 10 years by masquerading their crippled shell
as "bash". And it's even sadder to see how so many projects, in
response, have simply said "let's write all our shell scripts in
original Bourne shell syntax" as a result.

Disclaimer: I didn't write the shell code in question, so please don't
assume I'm "taking this personally". I'm just making a general
observation.