[yocto] Building "restricted" source code

Jerrod Peach peachj at lexmark.com
Tue Mar 26 05:53:54 PDT 2013

As part of my company's firmware builds, we have to build some code that
only a handful of developers are allowed to view.  We call this restricted
source code.  Getting our official "system" builds to build this code isn't
a problem.  What is a problem is a regular developer's build of this code.

Imagine this scenario: The restricted source depends upon eglibc.  Our
low-level team, who doesn't have access to the restricted source, updates
the recipe for eglibc.  The hash for the restricted package is permuted,
and so they can't get an sstate hit and are required to rebuild the source.
 But, since they can't check out the source, they can't build it.  This
would cause a build failure.

Is anyone dealing with this scenario while using Yocto currently?  If so,
how?  I know it may be unlikely that many people are hitting this since
Yocto is primarily used to build open-source code, but I thought I'd take a
shot in the dark and hope for the best.  :-)