[yocto] How to install the in-tree modules into the rootfs.

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Mar 25 03:47:54 PDT 2013

On Monday 25 March 2013 18:40:04 Biao wrote:
> step 1. Configure the kernel with some modules as "M".
> step 2. Build the kernel.
> step 3. After the building, there is a modules-*.tgz in the deploy/images
> directory. My question is how to install it to the target rootfs. I assume
> it is "bitbake -f -c populate_sysroot core-image-minimal-dev', but i was
> wrong.

Each module ends up as a separate package (kernel-module-modulename); there is
also a kernel-modules package which installs all of them. In either case you
need to add those packages to the image. For information on how to do that,
see:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#usingpoky-extend-customimage

Cheers,
Paul