[yocto] Creating tailored image without standard rootfs files

Peter Bergin Peter.Bergin at qmatic.com
Thu Mar 21 08:09:51 PDT 2013

Hi,

for my Yocto build I want to create two separate images as output because in my system I have two separate partitions. One partition containing the root file system and one partition containing configuration and application data. What I want is to create an image only containing data and applications from my recipes that I can apply to my data partition.

I have tried this approach:

my-data-image.bb
IMAGE_INSTALL = "my-application1-data \
                              my-application2-data"
IMAGE_FEATURES = ""
IMAGE_LINGUAS = ""
IMAGE_TYPES = "tar.gz"

inherit image

When building this image the rootfs will contain /etc /dev /lib /var and init, directories that I do not want. I only want an output with my files from 'my-application1-data' and 'my-application2-data'. Can anyone suggest me the best way forward?

Thanks,
/Peter