[yocto] remove /boot/uImage and /usr/share/terminfo

Hans Beckérus hans.beckerus at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 08:36:31 PDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Bruce Ashfield <
bruce.ashfield at windriver.com> wrote:

> On 13-03-15 07:36 AM, Hans Beckérus wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Bruce Ashfield
>> <bruce.ashfield at windriver.com <mailto:bruce.ashfield@**windriver.com<bruce.ashfield at windriver.com>>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 13-03-15 06:33 AM, Hans Beckérus wrote:
>>
>>         Hi. In an effort to shrink our rootfs by some major numbers we
>>         found two
>>         low-hanging fruits that we would like to address before cherry
>>         picking
>>         and removing lots of good linux functionality. We have no need
>>         for the
>>         uImage (3MB) stored in /boot and also we can leave out the
>>         terminfo tree
>>         (2.5MB).
>>         My question here now is if the build system provide functionality
>>         actually tell the image builder not to include these specific
>>         components?
>>

>>      From kernel.bbclass, you just need to clear RDEPENDS_kernel-base
>>     in your .conf files:
>>
>>     # Allow machines to override this dependency if kernel image files are
>>     # not wanted in images as standard
>>     RDEPENDS_kernel-base ?= "kernel-image"
>>
>>     You'll still get your kernel modules installed after making this
>> change.
>>
>>     Bruce
>>

>> Thanks Bruce.How could I have missed that? I believe I scanned through
>> the kernel.bbclass for something like this.
>> Also got some good tip regarding /usr/share/terminfo? Guess I need to
>> figure out what package drags it in ;)
>>

> Not off the top of my head. Hopefully someone else with experience in
> that area will notice the traffic and jump in :)
>
> I'm fairly certain that is is controllable, since in the past, I've
> known it to be removed and tuned for small systems, so it's not a
> completely uncommon thing to do.
>
> Cheers,

But of course. It is ncurses that drags it in. That figures ;)
It can be disabled in the configure script
     --disable-database      do not use terminfo, only fallbacks/termcap
So all it should take is to create a .bbappend and update EXTRA_OECONF.
But I might be wrong of course. Might be an even easier solution.

Hans