[yocto] remove /boot/uImage and /usr/share/terminfo

Hans Beckérus hans.beckerus at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 06:33:45 PDT 2013

Hi. In an effort to shrink our rootfs by some major numbers we found two
low-hanging fruits that we would like to address before cherry picking and
removing lots of good linux functionality. We have no need for the uImage
(3MB) stored in /boot and also we can leave out the terminfo tree (2.5MB).
My question here now is if the build system provide functionality to
actually tell the image builder not to include these specific components?
Or do we need to write some post installer for our rootfs that mounts the
image, removes the files, and then umount it?
If we remove inclusion of any kernel modules it seems that /boot is never
populated? But we need the modules. Also, what package brings in terminfo?
Is it as simple as writing a .bbappend to remove it att deploy time?

Hans