[yocto] A question on adding a new program to a new meta layer

Insop Song insop.song at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 02:32:58 PST 2013

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Bruce Ashfield
<bruce.ashfield at windriver.com> wrote:
> On 13-03-08 12:01 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
>>

>> On 03/04/2013 08:04 PM, Insop Song wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am preparing a new meta layer for testing and promoting a
>>> sched_deadline scheduler, called "meta-dl". I am planning to add
>>> scheduler testing tools and different kernel versions as well.
>>> - http://insop.github.com/meta-dl/
>>

>> Note that qemux86 doesn't support the EMGD graphics driver. You mention
>> this and its license in the README, but it isn't necessary. If you are
>> pulling that in, there is a problem with your recipes.
>

> wow. mailing list delays are making this conversation *extremely*
> painful and disjointed.

Darren,
Those that you've mentioned were from yocto kernel lab examples.
I went over and cleaned them up. https://github.com/insop/meta-dl

However, at this point, I am more looking at meta-realtime that uses
yocto-linux-3.8 instead as Bruce's suggestion.
https://github.com/insop/meta-realtime

>> So you are using the sched_deadline patches, but not PREEMPT_RT, is that
>> right? I had always assumed sched_deadline ran on top of PREEMPT_RT (but
>> I haven't every tried building it myself).
>

> sched_deadline applies to mainline, right on top of CFS as a scheduler
> class. So in fact, I wouldn't suggest it with preempt-rt at all at the
> moment.

Right, previously, Juri maintained sched_deadline on top of
preempt-rt, but not any more.

>> What you have here is a good experimental layer. Looking forward, please
>> consider:
>>
>> o Incorporating sched_deadline as a kernel feature into the
>> linux-yocto_3.8 kernel. We can easily add recipes to build a
>> linux-yocto-deadline kernel and you will get all the benefits of the
>> yocto tooling, testing, bugfixing, and free forward porting.
>

> Already done. I've had it in linux-yocto-3.8 since I first introduced
> it. We just need the supporting userspace to easily change the
> scheduler class for a process.

Yup, two apps that can test sched_deadline is at meta-realtime now.
I will prepare some script to make it easier as well.

>> o Incorporating your tests into (poky|oe-core)/meta/recipes-rt
>

> Or if they aren't fully 'core', our new meta-realtime that I'd like
> to have created shortly.

I will be playing with meta-realtime at github until you create one.
Please let me know if you have any other requested program on this layer.

Regards,

Insop