[yocto] How do I control what kernel modules are being loaded?

Hans Beckerus hans.beckerus at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 13:11:00 PST 2013

On 2013-03-08 7:12, Eric Bénard wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> Le Fri, 8 Mar 2013 13:08:21 +0100,
> Hans Beckérus <hans.beckerus at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> Hi. I have built some custom kernel modules (.ko) using a .bb that
>> inherits from the module.bbclass. There is one main kernel module and
>> the rest are dependent on the first. Building and installing the
>> modules to the rootfs works fine. Next question is how do I control
>> what actual modules are loaded at boot, or actually how do I control
>> this through Yocto? To my surprise one of the kernel module loaded
>> automatically!? How could this happen? I did not have an entry for it
>> in /etc/modules. And what do I need to do to actually add entries to
>> /etc/modules? Or is there some other mechanism that I should use. I
>> tried going through the module.bbclass but must admit I lost it
>> somewhere in the middle ;) Any guidance would be appreciated.
>>
> when the module is built by the kernel recipe you can use :
> module_autoload and you can see somme usage examples here :
> http://cgit.openembedded.org/meta-handheld/tree/conf/machine/palmtx.conf
> http://cgit.openembedded.org/meta-handheld/tree/conf/machine/include/palm.inc
>
> maybe you could get inspiration from kernel.bbclass to do the same
> thing in your recipe.
>
> Eric

Coming to think about it, module_autoload should actually specify
module, not package right?
That would work then. But is this only supported in a machine.conf? Can
it not be used also in e.g. the image.bb or a distro.conf?
The reason is that I do not have a machine.conf in my highest layer! My
layer is a simple distro that does not have any real knowledge of what
hardware it is running on. My local.conf points out the actual MACHINE.
The kernel modules are not hardware dependent either since they are pure
network extensions so it would be wrong to have them in the machine.conf.

Hans