[yocto] ERROR: Nothing RPROVIDES 'mdev'

Hans Beckérus hans.beckerus at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 07:02:12 PST 2013

Hi. I get his error when trying to override udev with mdev

ERROR: Nothing RPROVIDES 'mdev' (but /poky/meta/recipes-core/packagegroups/
packagegroup-core-boot.bb RDEPENDS on or otherwise requires it)

is it not possible to replace udev with mdev?

What I have done is adding the following to the distro/mydistro.conf

*VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_dev_manager = "mdev"*

In packagegroup-core-boot.bb it looks like it should be possible, but then
how to do it?

packagegroup-core-boot.bb:
*# Distro can override the following VIRTUAL-RUNTIME providers:
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_dev_manager ?= "udev"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_login_manager ?= "tinylogin"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager ?= "sysvinit"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_initscripts ?= "initscripts"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_keymaps ?= "keymaps"*

Hans