[yocto] Problem with applying a patch using default -pnum

Hans Beckérus hans.beckerus at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 04:33:06 PST 2013

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Hans Beckérus <hans.beckerus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi. More problems ;)
> I have a patch file that needs to be applied to a source tree and the
> patch file is copied properly to the ${WORKDIR} directory.
> So far so good. But, the problem with this source tree is that it is
> not built from the traditional root folder of the repo.
> This means I need to change ${S} to point somewhere else. This also
> causes the patch system to fail!
> I did an override of do_patch() in my .bb and that seems to work, but
> I do not like to use overrides unless I really have to.
> So basically, is there some way to tell the built-in patch system to
> use a different -pnum value?
> If there is, I could stick with the do_patch() as provided by default.
>
> Hans

Hmm, ok a correction from my side. Forget parts of what I said ;)
The patch system does not seem to use the value of ${S}, it is using
${WORKDIR} as the root for patching, this is also where the patch file
is placed. The problem in my case does not seem to be that is built
from a non-standard path. The reason why it fails seems to be because
the actual source is not in ${WORKDIR}, it is in ${WORKDIR}/git. The
patch file does include git as part of the source path for obvious
reasons. What am I doing wrong? Having actual source code in
${WORKDIR}/git I assume is very common for git based downloads.

Hans