[yocto] A question on adding a new program to a new meta layer

Insop Song insop.song at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 22:54:57 PST 2013

Hi,

I am preparing a new meta layer for testing and promoting a
sched_deadline scheduler, called "meta-dl". I am planning to add
scheduler testing tools and different kernel versions as well.
- http://insop.github.com/meta-dl/

With the help of hands-on kernel lab (thank you Tom and Darren), I am
able to make kernel with sched_deadline enabled.

Now, I am having some trouble of adding testing tools to this meta-dl,
and hope I can get some help from you.

- problem: adding a new software into my meta-dl layer

- symtom and questions?
1. bitbake core-image-minimal (normal image build) won't include the
additional program that I listed in .bb file below
2. If I do "bitbake schedtool-dl -c install" it builds and install,
but at "i586" location instead of my machine staging rootfs
(dl-qemux86)

- Here is my .bb file that pulls an additional program.
https://github.com/insop/meta-dl/blob/sched-dl-V7/recipes-tools/schedtool-dl/schedtool-dl.bb
===
DESCRIPTION = "schedtool-dl (scheduler test tool) for deadline scheduler"
HOMEPAGE = "https://github.com/insop/schedtool-dl"
SECTION = "base"
LICENSE = "GPLv2"
LIC_FILES_CHKSUM =
"file://Makefile;endline=55;md5=e4b4e8ed9c2132e1d727a1bb5e3bd984"
PR = "r1"

SRC_URI = "git://github.com/insop/schedtool-dl.git;protocol=git"
SRCREV = "${AUTOREV}"

S = "${WORKDIR}/git"

do_compile() {
        oe_runmake
}

do_install() {
        oe_runmake install DESTDIR=${D}
}

PARALLEL_MAKE = ""

BBCLASSEXTEND = "native"

COMPATIBLE_MACHINE_dl-qemux86 = "dl-qemux86"
====

- I've updated my conf/layer.conf file to include above file
https://github.com/insop/meta-dl/blob/sched-dl-V7/conf/layer.conf
====
# We have a conf and classes directory, add to BBPATH
BBPATH := "${BBPATH}:${LAYERDIR}"

# We have a recipes directory, add to BBFILES
BBFILES := "${BBFILES} ${LAYERDIR}/recipes-*/*/*.bb \
        ${LAYERDIR}/recipes-*/*/*.bbappend"

BBFILE_COLLECTIONS += "dl-qemux86"
BBFILE_PATTERN_dl-qemux86 := "^${LAYERDIR}/"
BBFILE_PRIORITY_dl-qemux86 = "6"
=====

Thank you.

Regards,