[yocto] Missing GDB thread debugging?

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Fri Mar 1 14:23:15 PST 2013

I'm trying to run GDB on my target.  When I run my program
(actually the Python interpreter) I get this error:
   warning: Unable to find libthread_db matching inferior's thread library, thread debugging will not be available.

I seem to have that library installed:
   # ls /lib/libthread_db* -l
   -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 26356 Feb 14 01:42 /lib/libthread_db-1.0.so
   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    19 Feb 28 17:53 /lib/libthread_db.so.1 -> libthread_db-1.0.so
Which came from:
   # opkg search /lib/libthread_db.so.1
   libthread-db1 - 2.16-r20

How can I get thread debugging to work on my target?

n.b. my target is a clone of the OMAP44xx PandaBoard.