[yocto] Layer input

Rifenbark, Scott M scott.m.rifenbark at intel.com
Fri Jun 28 04:22:03 PDT 2013

For Paul.

I count eight meta-* layers in the YP repositories that don't exist in the OE area.  I understand what you are saying though and I can word it that way to dampen the existence of the "many" differences :)

>> Some YP layers are deprecated (e.g. meta-dlna), some should not be
>there and
>> are being actively worked for removal or movement (e.g. poky-extras
>and
>> yocto-docs).  Some are experimental layers (e.g. any layer that starts
>with
>> "experimental"). And one is a contribution layer used by the Yocto
>Team
>> (e.g. meta-intel-contrib).
>
>FWIW, like the other contrib repos I think the latter is open access,
>anyone
>can get commit rights to facilitate sending pull requests.

I can explain the contrib areas as you suggest.

>> The text I create supporting this "layer" figure will describe this
>> relationship so people will know from where existing layers originate.
>>
>> I am deciding against adding more boxes to the already large figure
>and am
>> going to retain just the large "Layers" box.  It will have supporting
>text
>> that describes how a layer could be user-created, could originate from
>the
>> YP Metadata Layers list, or could originate from the OpenEmbedded
>Metadata
>> Index of layers.
>
>Looking over the most recent version of this figure I'd suggest:
>
>* conf/bblayers.conf in the distro layer shouldn't be there.

Ok - I removed this.

>* The recipes-kernel in the distro layer should be dropped. I know we
>include
>linux-libc-headers-yocto in Poky but that is not typical.

Ok - I removed it.

>* I think maybe like the other diagrams it would help if there were a
>different
>emphasis for items that are mandatory and items that are optional (e.g.
>bolding mandatory items or greying out optional items).

I don't know what is mandatory and what is not.  Can you provide some guidance here? Thanks.

>* Replace <mod_name> with <recipe>
>
>* Replace <machine*> with <machine>

Ok - I fixed the above two items.