[yocto] Removing a package from an image

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Thu Jun 27 05:35:00 PDT 2013

I'm using one of the machines from meta-fsl-arm (i.MX6) which
has this setting in the MACHINE.conf:
   MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS_append_mx6 = " imx-audio"

While this is reasonable for most of these boards, I have one
which has no audio and I'd like to leave this package (and all
that it pulls with it) out of my images.

I tried using this in my image recipe with no joy:
   MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS := "${@oe_filter_out('imx-audio', '${MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS}', d)}"

How can I "filter out" this extra/unwanted/setting?