[yocto] Kernel patch is unpacked but not applied

Bryan Evenson bevenson at melinkcorp.com
Wed Jun 26 20:08:07 PDT 2013

I am building a custom Linux kernel under poky-dylan and I am having an issue with patches being unpacked but not applied.  I have two layers that have a bbappend file for the kernel.  Generally, this is what each bbappend file looks like:

#First .bbappend

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"
COMPATIBLE_MACHINE_mach1 = "mach1"
COMPATIBLE_MACHINE_mach2 = "mach2"
SRC_URI_append_mach2 = " file://${MACHINE}/${KBRANCH}/0001-blah.patch \
    file://${MACHINE}/${KBRANCH}/0002-blah.patch \
    "

# Increment the recipe revision
PRINC := "${@int(PRINC) + 1}"

# Second .bbappend

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"
COMPATIBLE_MACHINE_mach1 = "mach1"
COMPATIBLE_MACHINE_mach2 = "mach2"
SRC_URI_append_mach2 = " file://${MACHINE}/${KBRANCH}/0003-blah.patch \
    file://${MACHINE}/${KBRANCH}/0004-blah.patch \
    "

# Increment the recipe revision
PRINC := "${@int(PRINC) + 1}"

All of the patch files are properly unpacked, but the last two patches are not being applied.  If I open the devshell for the kernel (bitbake -c devshell linux-yocto-custom) I can see in the git log that the first patch set was applied.  The second patch set exists but is not applied.  If I call "guilt push" repeatedly from the devshell, the patches from the second set are cleanly applied.  My guess is that something doesn't like the second SRC_URI_append call.  Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks,
Bryan