[yocto] -rt and COMPATIBLE_MACHINES

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jun 20 12:40:11 PDT 2013

I was able to build core-image-base from Dylan with no problem. I then added
my own layer that specifies an RT kernel by including "linux-yocto-rt" in my
top-level recipe, and then setting PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel to
"linux-yocto-rt" in bblayers.conf. It complained that none of the available
kernel recipes (linux-yocto-rt_*) were compatible with my machine, because
they all set COMPATIBLE_MACHINE to a list of qemu machines, which isn't what
I'm building for. So I created a linux-yocto-rt_3.8.bbappend file that just
sets COMPATIBLE_MACHINE to what I'm building for, and now it's building
away.

My question is this: why was I able to build core-image base without
complaint in the first place? The kernel recipes it has available
(linux-yocto_*) also set COMPATIBLE_MACHINE to a list of qemu machines.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com