[yocto] Cross building question

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Wed Jun 19 07:39:54 PDT 2013

On 2013-06-19 15:14, Burton, Ross wrote:
> On 19 June 2013 15:03, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>> What's the best way to handle this and how?  I recall in the
>> dark old days that there were many such things that relied on
>> running QEMU to actually execute target code.  Is this still
>> possible (and being done)?  If so, is that a solution and how
>> might I force it to happen?
>
> You can use qemu, for example the fontconfig cache generation is done
> at image construction time using qemu running the target binaries.
> The alternative solution is to use the host compiler ($BUILD_CC etc)
> and build the tool natively - either by patching the build system or
> building it manually yourself before invoking make.
>
> Of course, if this binary is just used to print some stuff for the
> user, you could just patch it out. :)

Probably what I will do!

In the mean time, I faked that one and moved on and got the whole thing
to build :-)  Now I face this packaging issue:
   ERROR: QA Issue: non -dev/-dbg/-nativesdk package contains symlink .so: amanda path
'/work/ppce500v2-amltd-linux-gnuspe/amanda/3.3.3-r0/packages-split/amanda/usr/lib/amanda/libamar.so'

Any clues how I fix this?

Query: I've built this now using a cross build (normal Yocto style) and
native using a Yocto created SDK.  These _should_ be the same tools, no?
I ask because I had a few gotchas - things that were different between
the two environments.  If I track them down, are they of any interest?