[yocto] Creating a core-image-minimal image with package support

Bryan Evenson bevenson at melinkcorp.com
Mon Jun 17 09:49:35 PDT 2013

All,

I am working with the core-image-minimal image from poky/danny as a starting point, but would like to include packaging support.  I have tried creating a separate recipe called core-image-opkg.bb which, from what I read in the mega-manual, should include all the parts I need for opkg support.  Here is a copy of the image recipe so far:

DESCRIPTION = "A small image just capable of allowing a device to boot, with opkg support."

IMAGE_INSTALL = "packagegroup-core-boot ${ROOTFS_PKGMANAGE_BOOTSTRAP} ${CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL} opkg opkg-collateral"

IMAGE_FEATURES += "package-management"

IMAGE_LINGUAS = " "

LICENSE = "MIT"

inherit core-image

IMAGE_ROOTFS_SIZE = "8192"

The above recipe yields an image that is includes the opkg executable, but opkg support is incomplete.  Namely, calling opkg yields the error " * opkg_conf_load: Could not create lock file /var/lib/opkg/lock: No such file or directory."  I can see that the folder /var/lib/opkg was not created on my filesystem.  If I create this directory and then call "opkg list-installed", I get an empty list back.

What more do I need to add to the image recipe so that the image knows what packages were installed on it?  And what do I need to add so that the /var/lib/opkg directory is created?

Thanks,
Bryan