[yocto] Need clarification on some terms

William Mills wmills at ti.com
Wed Jun 12 14:32:53 PDT 2013

On 06/12/2013 03:51 PM, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
> For now, I really just need to know if I'm interested in the SDK, since I
> have no intention of ever running compilations on my target system.

Trevor's answer has a lot of great background.

My short answer is gcc-cross is for use inside bitbake (in the host) and
gcc-crosssdk is for use outside of bitbake (still on the host).  This
outside bitbake use case is the SDK Trevor described.

Why does gcc need to get built differently between these two use cases?
  I gave up asking this many years ago and accepted it as "something I
can not change" for my own serenity.  I am sure Paul or Khem could give
the detail.  The sdk version does have extra stuff to make it
relocatable etc that is not needed inside of bitbake.  However I don't
know why we don't always build the sdk-able version.