[yocto] Need clarification on some terms

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 13:51:54 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Paul D. DeRocco <pderocco at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Shouldn't gcc-cross be described as a "cross"
> package rather than a "native", and shouldn't gcc-crosssdk be described as a
> "native" binary that runs on the target? Or am I still fundamentally
> misinterpreting these things?

Your understanding is quite good, actually. But I think you're mixing
up your contexts :-)

If you were at GCC or LLVM conference talking to a bunch of compiler
geeks about compilers, they would use the term "native" to refer to a
compiler which produces executables for the same machine on which the
compile was taking place. As opposed to a cross-compiler which
produces executables meant to run on some other architecture.

If you were on the Yocto/OE mailing lists talking to people about
"native" packages or output, you would be differentiating between
packages which are meant to run on the build machine rather than on
the (embedded) target.

So in the Yocto world, any package meant to run on the build machine
is a "native" package. Even if that package is a cross-compiling
compiler (i.e. a non-native compiler).

:-D