[yocto] Need clarification on some terms

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jun 12 12:51:05 PDT 2013

> From: Paul Eggleton
>
> gcc-cross-intermediate is gone as of 1.3; as I understand it
> current versions
> of glibc can be compiled using gcc-cross-initial so the
> intermediate step is
> no longer required. We should remove mention of this from the
> documentation
> (other than in the migration section that is).

Okay, so now there are two stages to each cross-compilation, so there's
gcc-cross-initial producing gcc-cross, and also gcc-crosssdk-initial
producing gcc-crosssdk. But is the difference between those two pairs that
the first pair ultimately produces a cross-compiler that runs on the host,
and the second pair ultimately produces a native compiler that runs on the
target? From what I can gather about the various references to "SDK", it
sounds like it's supposed to be a set of native tools that runs on the
target and produces output for the target. If that's true, then the new
descriptions are still wrong. Shouldn't gcc-cross be described as a "cross"
package rather than a "native", and shouldn't gcc-crosssdk be described as a
"native" binary that runs on the target? Or am I still fundamentally
misinterpreting these things?

For now, I really just need to know if I'm interested in the SDK, since I
have no intention of ever running compilations on my target system.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com