[yocto] Need clarification on some terms

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Jun 12 04:59:33 PDT 2013

On Wednesday 12 June 2013 04:16:30 michael at cubic.org wrote:
> Paul D. DeRocco wrote on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM:
> > "Following is a list of toolchain recipes..." This is followed by
> > gcc-cross-initial, gcc-cross-intermediate, gcc-cross. All three of these
> > things say that the toolchain runs on the host and is used to build
> > software
> > for the target. So why are there three of them? What are the differences
> > among them?
>
> The gcc must be build multiple times when you bootstrap it.
> For building the gcc you need to build the libc and therefor you need to
> build the linux kernel headers and therefor you need the gcc. Oops.
>
> Thats why you first build a gcc only with c support and no libc first.
> Use that to generate the kernel headers, then build the initial libc and
> then another gcc with libc support and all the frontends you need
> (c,c++,java,fortran,..). Why there is the gcc-cross-intermediate I am not
> shure, but there will be a reason and another one can clarify that.

gcc-cross-intermediate is gone as of 1.3; as I understand it current versions
of glibc can be compiled using gcc-cross-initial so the intermediate step is
no longer required. We should remove mention of this from the documentation
(other than in the migration section that is).

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton