[yocto] What does "virtual/" mean?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Jun 12 01:52:13 PDT 2013

Hi Paul,

On Wednesday 12 June 2013 01:43:31 Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
> I see lots of references to "virtual/kernel", as opposed to simply "kernel".
> The bitbake docs show "virtual/whatever" and "virtual/package" in some of
> its syntactic examples. But what does the "virtual/" prefix actually mean?
> Google coughs up endless uses of the term, as though everyone knows what it
> means, but no explanation of it.

It's simply a convention to indicate the particular item is not a real package
but a virtual placeholder that could be configured at build time to point to
one of a selection of different providers; i.e. a recipe that requires kernel
headers could have virtual/kernel in its DEPENDS rather than having to name a
specific kernel recipe and the distro or machine configuration can set
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel to point to whatever real kernel recipe is
desired.

Cheers,
Paul

--