[yocto] Yocto branches with other meta-data sets

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Jun 12 01:46:37 PDT 2013

Hi Edward,

On Tuesday 11 June 2013 08:50:49 Edward Vidal wrote:
> I am trying to understand the various branches of poky.
> It appears that 1.4_M6 became dylan-9.0.0 which is DISTRO_VERSION    =
> "1.4".  Is this correct?

I don't see a 1.4_M6 branch, only a 1.4_M6.rc1 tag which is not the same as
the dylan-9.0.0 tag. DISTRO_VERSION for the dylan-9.0.0 tag would be 1.4, yes.

> top level of meta-oe
> git branch -a
> * master
>   remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
>   remotes/origin/danny
>   remotes/origin/danny-next
>   remotes/origin/denzil
>   remotes/origin/denzil-next
>   remotes/origin/dylan
>   remotes/origin/dylan-next
>   remotes/origin/master
> my conf/bblayers has the following entry
> /home/vidal/POKY/build060613_dylan/poky/meta-oe/meta-oe \
>
> When I have the following in my conf/bblayers
> /home/vidal/POKY/build060613_dylan/poky/meta-oe \ I get errors.
> can not find conf/layer.conf.

meta-openembedded (the repository) contains a few different layers in
subdirectories, one of which is meta-oe. I think you just need to add an
additional "/meta-oe" onto the path you've given for the layer in
bblayers.conf.

> When using meta-oe with Yocto which branch should I be using
>  origin/master, origin/dylan, or  origin/dylan-next?

I would say dylan; dylan-next is a proving temporary staging area for patches
for the dylan branch and you should not rely upon it.

> My previous builds have been using origin/master
> For my Yocto I use the following
>
> git clone git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky
> cd poky
> git checkout -b dylan origin/dylan
> Which I found in dev-manual 3.6.1. Repositories, Tags, and Branches
> I noticed that this started as DISTRO_VERSION    = "1.4" a few days ago and
> now it is DISTRO_VERSION    = "1.4.1".

If you're using the dylan branch of Poky or OE-Core then you're tracking a
branch rather than a fixed version; we're preparing our upcoming point release
of the dylan/1.4 series which will be 1.4.1, hence the recent version bump.

> When using meta-ti which I use to build images for beaglebone & pandaboard.
> top level of meta-ti
> git branch -a
> * master
>   remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
>   remotes/origin/danny
>   remotes/origin/denzil
>   remotes/origin/master
>   remotes/origin/split
>
> This branch works with origin/dylan of yocto meta-ti           =
> "(nobranch):d61bfa88ed3df9190ac9fd5643c27f77b34c5f01".
> I do not see a origin/dylan for meta-ti.

You should talk to the meta-ti maintainers about this (probably on the meta-ti
mailing list).

> Is Yocto the main source of meta-data that other are creating same branches?
> Is Yocto project participation Yocto Project Compatible what is driving the
> same branches?

I don't know that there is any requirement about branches in version control
within either of those programmes. I would certainly recommend people create
branches corresponding to the release branches in OE-Core and use the same
names to avoid confusion, but there's nothing forcing maintainers of other
layers to do so.

Cheers,
Paul

--