[yocto] How to get mkfs.ext4 in rootfs package

Ben Warren Ben.Warren at spidercloud.com
Tue Jun 11 10:51:04 PDT 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to get the 'mkfs.ext4' binary from e2fsprogs into my image, in particular the '.ext3' rootfs image, and am obviously missing something fundamental.
I'm using a custom image based on (copy/pasted from) 'kvm_image_minimal', and have added 'e2fsprogs' to the IMAGE_INSTALL string in the image descriptor file.

I see that the library is compiling and the binary is in tmp/sysroots:

ben at ubuntu-scw:/opt/scw-appscard-build$ ls tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/sbin/mkfs.*
tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/sbin/mkfs.ext2  tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/sbin/mkfs.ext4     tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/sbin/mkfs.minix
tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/sbin/mkfs.ext3  tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/sbin/mkfs.ext4dev

but it's not making it to the rootfs images.

I've tried to read the documentation but still am not quite sure about what defines the contents of the rootfs images.

thanks,
Ben