[yocto] Network booting

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Wed Jul 31 13:30:28 PDT 2013

Is there an easy way to have a system boot and load the rootfs from a network server?

I'm using an x86 system and can have the kernel and an initrd on it. I would use bootp, but a lot of end users either don't have this or will not allow it to be used. I think it needs to go something like:

1) Kernel loads the initrd and bring the network up (static or DHCP);
2) The rootfs image can then be download;
3) Some magic then makes this run...

This would allow easy update of the rootfs and makes it non-volatile (which is good for this project).

Does this make sense, or is there a better / easier way to do it?

Chris Tapp

opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com