[yocto] Antwort: RE: Antwort: Re: [meta-intel] Boot failure when using meta-intel and meta-ivi

Tom Zanussi tom.zanussi at intel.com
Tue Jul 30 20:44:23 PDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-29 at 10:05 +0200, Felix01 Fischer wrote:
> [...]
> sounds

> machine
> the

> relevant

> "chiefriver"

> the

> foton-image
> before
> > > |###########################################|
> > > > >
>   /usr/local/dev/yocto/ivi-test/meta-ivi/recipes-extended/common-
> > > > >
>   /usr/local/dev/yocto/ivi-test/meta-ivi/recipes-core-ivi/dbus/
> > > > >
>   /usr/local/dev/yocto/ivi-test/meta-ivi/recipes-graphics/xorg-
> > > > >
>   /usr/local/dev/yocto/ivi-test/meta-ivi/recipes-core-ivi/busybox/
> > > > >
>   /usr/local/dev/yocto/ivi-test/meta-ivi/recipes-core-ivi/eglibc/
> > > > >
>   /usr/local/dev/yocto/ivi-test/meta-intel/meta-crownbay/recipes-
> > > > >
>   /usr/local/dev/yocto/ivi-test/meta-intel/common/recipes-graphics/
> > > > >
>   /usr/local/dev/yocto/ivi-test/meta-ivi/recipes-core-ivi/netbase/

> checkout
> using
> shouldn't
> dylan
> > > >
> > > OK, with those commits, I was able to get a good build (the README
> is
> > > also misleading about adding the INCOMPATIBLE_LICENSE line - it
> doesn't
> > > build if you do what it says).
> >
> > Can you share where it did lead you and why?
> >

> meta-intel depends on parted which is GPLv3+
>

> > > Anyway, from your error message:
> > >    /init: line 98: mount: not found
> > >
> > > it can't find mount, which prompted me to look in the rootfs for
> 'mount'
> > > and indeed it's not there, so that causes the init script to fail
> as
> > > above.
> > >
> > > The mount command isn't there because meta-ivi applies its own
> busybox
> > > defconfig.  From that defconfig, we can see that it excludes
> mount:
> >
> > Because /bin/mount is provided by util-linux, and we therefore do
> > not need the one from busybox.
> >
> > > # CONFIG_MOUNT is not set
> > >
> > > which is why the live image init script can't find mount and fails
> like
> > > it does.
> > >
> > > Removing the busybox_1.20.2.bbappend in the meta-ivi layer fixes
> the
> > > problem - rebuilding after doing that I'm able to boot crownbay
> fine
> > > with the meta-ivi layer applied.
> >
> > That's a workaround yes.  Not sure why meta-intel BSPs can't use the
> > mount command that comes with util-linux.
>

> Just for my understanding:
>
> I did search for mount in my rootfs and I found a symlink to
> util-linux.
> So I assumed this would be right.
> Now two Questione come to my mind.
> First, how to recognize this as a bug? Do I need more experience or is
> there a another way to hunt this bug down?
> Second, how to find the root cause? Did you use grep or similiar to
> find the right .bbappend or is it experience again to look for the

No, there's no magic to it, I actually didn't know much off the top of
my head about the details of where mount comes from until I started
digging around.

Basically starting with the error message '/init: line 98: mount: not
found' on a system that won't boot tells me there's a bug.  Furthermore,
it tells me that the init script can't find mount for some reason.

Looking at the rootfs, I noticed mount was missing in that build, and so
I compared it with a build that did boot i.e one without meta-ivi
included in the layers, and I did see mount, and that it was soft-linked
to mount.busybox.  So that tells me the mount that's missing is
apparently the busybox, which lead me to the busybox recipe and at the
same time the busybox bbappend in meta-ivi.  A quick look at the
defconfig showed indeed that the CONFIG_MOUNT option (along with several
others) was unset, and a quick comparison with the defconfig in the main
recipe confirmed that.

And finally a quick rebuild after removing the busybox bbappend did boot
for me.  Which stops short of suggesting a fix or a workaround, but at
least solves the mystery...

I'm sure I did use grep at certain points to locate things (actually I
index the whole poky layer and a bunch of other layers as well, instead
of actually grepping through the whole thing every time, but same thing
basically), but yeah, I guess it's experience that leads to looking
for .bbappends if you've isolated the problem to a particular package or
recipe...

HTH,

Tom