[yocto] It's a [PERL] lie...

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Fri Jul 26 08:49:44 PDT 2013

After three weeks, I've finally figured out why my PERL based
programs (Amanda in particular) don't run on my Poky/Yocto system.

I have my own distribution, derived from Poky, with some minor
tweaks.  In particular, I have some reduced DISTRO_FEATURES(*).
One of them that I had removed, 'largefile', was the root cause
of my PERL problems.  It turns out that PERL is the only package
that cares about this DISTRO_FEATURE and it builds incorrectly
if it's left out :-(  Adding this feature back into my settings
made PERL build properly and now Amanda runs as well.

My point/query is that if this setting is only used by PERL *and*
leaving it out breaks things anyway, shouldn't it just be removed
and the PERL recipes changed to assume that it was set?

* Note: I made these changes years ago, when I was new to OE/Poky
and still quite naive, and I don't recall why I removed 'largefile'.