[yocto] Discovering available Perl modules OR writing recipes for your own

mulhern mulhern at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 08:30:41 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm working on a recipe for pullledpork, which is a Perl app which grabs
and combines Snort rules from various sites.

My questions all revolve around pulledpork's various module dependencies.

pulledpork tries to use the module Crypt::SSLeay and in my current
configuration it can't find it. It is very easy to write a little recipes
that provides this module and forge ahead.

But I'm not sure that that is the correct thing to do...especially as it
looks like I'll have to do the same thing for another ten or so tiny
modules if I take that approach.

First, is there some way that I can find out whether that or any particular
Perl module is provided by some recipe somewhere? My plan would be to
RDEPEND on every available Perl module, forcing them all to be installed in
the right place, run the pulledpork script, do the right think to provide
any modules still missing until the script can actually complete, and then
remove from RDEPENDS all previously included modules that don't show up a
values in %INC. So far, so good, but I don't know how to even locate all
the Perl modules that are already available.

Second, if the modules really are not available is there a better way to
package them up than writing individual recipes for each and every missing
module?

Third, are there naming conventions that should be followed? For example
there is a recipe for liburi-perl that provides the very simply named Perl
module URI.

Thanks!

- mulhern