[yocto] Problems building different versions of perl

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Mon Jul 22 04:33:23 PDT 2013

In an effort to understand my problem (code built using Poky/Yocto doesn't
run but the same code built natively on a BeagleBoneBlack running Angstrom does),
I want to try a previous version of perl.  I picked up the recipes from the
Poky/Yocto tree rev 51cbb5ae7 (5.14.2-r12) and put them in one of my local layers.
I also set local.conf to have PREFERRED_VERSION_perl = "5.14.2"

Now I'm getting these errors:

NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
NOTE: preferred version 5.14.2 of perl not available (for item perl-module-strict)
NOTE: versions of perl available: 5.14.3
NOTE: preferred version 5.14.2 of perl not available (for item perl-module-vars)
NOTE: versions of perl available: 5.14.3
NOTE: preferred version 5.14.2 of perl not available (for item perl-module-config)
NOTE: versions of perl available: 5.14.3
NOTE: preferred version 5.14.2 of perl not available (for item perl-module-warnings)
NOTE: versions of perl available: 5.14.3
NOTE: Preparing runqueue
ERROR: Multiple .bb files are due to be built which each provide perl (/home/local/poky-multi/meta-amltd/recipes-devtools/perl/perl_5.14.2.bb
/home/local/poky-multi/meta/recipes-devtools/perl/perl_5.14.3.bb).
  This usually means one provides something the other doesn't and should.
ERROR: Multiple .bb files are due to be built which each provide libmodule-build-perl (/home/local/poky-multi/meta-amltd/recipes-devtools/perl/perl_5.14.2.bb
/home/local/poky-multi/meta/recipes-devtools/perl/perl_5.14.3.bb).
  This usually means one provides something the other doesn't and should.

I don't see how I can be told on one line that 5.14.2 isn't available
but on the next that it will also be built :-(

The odd thing is that this process worked ONCE.  I was able to build using
5.14.2 with no errors.  I tried some stuff on my board and then needed to
see how 5.14.3 behaved.  Now when I want to go back to 5.14.2, I'm stuck
with these errors and bitbake insists on using 5.14.3.  I'm trying to go
back to 5.14.2-r12 because that's the version that's on the BBB,

How can I move forward?

Thanks

Note: my original problem is described in https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2013-July/017297.html
but there hasn't been any discussion or replies...