[yocto] How to add WiFi support

Sean Liming sean.liming at annabooks.com
Wed Jul 3 16:36:47 PDT 2013

I have searched and spotted different discussion on adding wireless support
but have not found a solution. I have a Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 card
plugged into a Intel Atom N2800 (Cedar Trail) platform. I am using Yocto
Project 1.3.1, Cedar Trail BSP, core-image-x11

BB_VERSION        = "1.16.0"
TARGET_ARCH       = "i586"
TARGET_OS         = "linux"
MACHINE           = "cedartrail-nopvr"
DISTRO            = "poky"
DISTRO_VERSION    = "1.3.1"
TUNE_FEATURES     = "m32 core2"
Core-image-x11

Following the instructions to use menuconfig and create configuration
fragment, I have enabled the various kernel options to include the iwlagn
driver. The configuration fragment called mydiff.cfg (attached) was placed
in the meta-intel/meta-cedartrail/recipes-kernel/Linux/files folder. The
Linux-yocto_3.0.bbappend was modified with the following:

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/files:"
SRC_URI += "file://mydiff.cfg"

After building the image, ifconfig didn't show wireless and neither does
iwconfig. The adapter is found when I do a lspci. The kernel wireless
website - http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi  lists a
firmware package needed for installation. I tried to create a recipe to
place the firmware file in the /lib/firmware folder, but it doesn't get put
in. The lack of what to do for the LICENSE might be a problem. Here is the
recipe:

DESCRIPTION = "Intel WiFi 1000 Adapter"
LICENSE = "GPL"-?????
LIC_FILES_CHKSUM =
"file://${WORKDIR}/LICENSE.iwlwifi-1000-ucode;md5=aa2bfb02c7e0712680334b9f47
f8dc61"

SRC_URI = "file://LICENSE.iwlwifi-1000-ucode \
	   file://iwlwifi-1000-3.ucode \
	   "
FWPATH = "lib/firmware"
do_install_apped() {
	install -m 0644 LICENSE.iwlwifi-1000-ucode ${D}${FWPATH}
	install -m 0644 iwlwifi-1000-3.ucode ${D}${FWPATH}
}

I manually created the /lib/firmware folder and copied the firmware file
(iwlwifi-1000-3.ucode) to the folder. Nothing changed after a reboot. I also
tried a Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 same result.

1. Was a kernel modification the right direction to enable support for this
driver?
2. Did I miss anything with regards to the configuration fragment setup?
3. Is the firmware really needed? If so why is there no /lib/firmware folder
and what should be used for the LICENSE ?

Regards,

Sean Liming