[yocto] [meta-mono] Support for Visual Studio debugging on Yocto/OE targets (e.g. RPi)

Bruce brubor2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 11:15:56 PST 2013

Alex J Lennon <ajlennon at ...> writes:

> Hi all, Autif,
>
> I've been working to support .NET development on Linux
> over the past few days.
>
> There is a Visual Studio plugin, MonoTools for Visual Studio
> which provides support for local and remote debugging of
> .NET applications with Mono.
>
> This requires a remote stub to be running on the target
> platform, monotools-server.
>
> I've created a recipe to build monotools-server, which in
> turn required me to pull in Openembedded Legacy recipes
> for mono-xsp and gtk-sharp.
>
> As it stands I'm now able to build an X enabled image for
> the Raspberry Pi and remote-debug some simple Windows
> Forms .NET applications within the Visual Studio IDE.
>
> Recipes are hosted here in 'recipes-mono'
>
> git at ...:ciseco-eve.meta-eve.git
>
> If there is interest in migrating these recipes into meta-mono
> and  somebody will review them then I'll be pleased to make
> whatever changes are needed to comply with relevant
> Yocto policies.
>
> Best Regards, (& Happy Holidays)
>
> Alex

Hello,

I stumbled on to this site and would like to know if you can tell me how to get
monotools-server installed and how to run it on Raspberry Pi?

I tried following the instructions at this site:
http://mono-project.com/GettingStartedWithMonoVS

and got the Visual Studio side to work but can't figure out how to get
monotools-server to run on Pi.  Specifically this part tripped me up:

    Download Servers for Linux and Mac to Run/Debug Remotely

    Linux:

    Use the openSUSE 1click from your existing Linux system:
              http://mono-project.com/files/2/2b/Monovs-1click.png

    Note: After installing on Linux, launch the "MonoTool GUI Server" from the
application menu to start the server.

I tried clicking on the above link in Medora and it just hangs.  Is your version
of Monotools-server available somewhere?  I would greatly appreciate any help
you can offer.  Thanks,

Bruce