[yocto] install and use "bitbake -c populate_sdk"

Eddy Lai GMail eddy.lai.tw at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 05:48:59 PST 2013

Hi,

I have build and boot the image from USB flash disk with the .hddimg
created by "bitbake -k core-image-basic"
have added ssh server inside and make sure the ethernet works well,
then use "bitbake -c populate_sdk core-image-basic" to create the
"poky_eglibc_xx.sh" under "tmp/deploy/sdk" directory,
my plan is to install the sdk into the target system and compile my
kernel module there, but now the problem is:
1. even I have 8GB USB flash disk, the .hddimg is 420MB only, "df"
command from target said there's 85MB available only,
     but the sdk .sh installer image is about 300MB, how can I "extend"
the target system to use the rest USB disk space? ( it's FAT file system)
     or how to modify configuration to force build the .hddimg create
~"8GB" file system?
2. after that SDK installed into my target system, can I copy (scp) my
own kernel module driver source code into the target system then
     make/compile and try insmod/debug the .ko there?
     or should I install the sdk on host system, then copy only the
compiled .ko into target system for test/debugging?

Eddy