[yocto] do_package task of the kernel takes extremely long

Daniel Kenji Morgan daniel.kenji.morgan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 03:29:28 PST 2013

Hello,

I'm still fairly new to Yocto, and having some trouble with kernel
packaging taking an extremely long time.
I will try and keep details as simple as possible to explain my situation.

I am building images for the machine "imx6qsabrelite" in the
"meta-fsl-arm" BSP layer using Poky 1.3 (danny).
To make it easier to test out changes to the linux kernel source, I have
a copy of the source in a local subversion repository, which is checked
out to a local working copy.

I have created a kernel recipe to inherit "externalsrc" and set "S" to
the local working copy directory.
I have added a "configure_prepend" task to stage the build directory.
I use "bitbake core-image-minimal" to build the image.

Here is what I have found from checking the "do_package" task duration
of the kernel in the build stats:

1. Using a local working copy directory (subversion 1.6), the duration
exceeds 4000 seconds.

2. Using a local working copy directory (subversion 1.7), the duration
takes approximately 800 seconds.

3. Using the original kernel recipe which obtains the kernel source off
a Git repository from the internet, the duration takes approximately 400
seconds.

Checking the "do_package" task, it seems like all directories and
sub-directorys of the source are checked recursively in the process.
I think it's safe to say that the number of subversion administrative
directorys is affecting the "do_package" task duration.

Is there any way to make the "do_package" task ignore .svn
administrative directories?