[yocto] Build external module against Yocto kernel

Patrick Turley PatrickTurley at gamestop.com
Tue Jan 22 21:14:12 PST 2013

On Jan 22, 2013, at 10:43 PM, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield at windriver.com> wrote:
> On 13-01-22 9:26 PM, Patrick Turley wrote:
>> If I just hold down the "Enter" key, I believe all the defaults are taken, and I eventually *do* get hostprogs that execute, but I don't know if they're appropriate to my kernel. (Again, I'm a n00b, so perhaps there's no effect at all.)
>
> This will be fine, the defaults will work. The kernel build infrastructure
> is picking up what it thinks is a change source -> to config and trying
> to reconcile the differences.
>
> If you throw in a 'make oldconfig' before you do the 'make scripts', does
> that quiet things down a bit ?

No -- "make oldconfig" caused the very same questions (see below).

-------------------

$ cd /opt/poky/1.3/sysroots/dm8148_mpu-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/src/kernel

$ ls
arch           drivers   Kbuild             MAINTAINERS     README          System.map-2.6.37
block          firmware  Kconfig            Makefile        REPORTING-BUGS  tools
COPYING        fs        kernel             mm              samples         uImage
CREDITS        include   kernel-abiversion  Module.symvers  scripts         usr
crypto         init      kernel-image-name  net             security        virt
Documentation  ipc       lib                patches         sound

$ sudo make oldconfig
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/docproc
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/kxgettext.o
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/lex.zconf.c
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.hash.c
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/conf
scripts/kconfig/conf --oldconfig Kconfig
*
* Restart config...
*
*
* General setup
*
Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers (EXPERIMENTAL) [Y/n/?] y
Cross-compiler tool prefix (CROSS_COMPILE) []
Local version - append to kernel release (LOCALVERSION) []
Automatically append version information to the version string (LOCALVERSION_AUTO) [N/y/?] n
Kernel compression mode
> 1. Gzip (KERNEL_GZIP)
  2. Bzip2 (KERNEL_BZIP2) (NEW)
  3. LZMA (KERNEL_LZMA)